Thursday's Unique Picks - Thursday Night Special

Typically I tend to choose my weekly themes and topics based on adventures in garage sale girly world or at least some sort of random thought that pops into my head throughout the week, i.e. "Where do squirrels go at night?"
Doesn't get any better than this. Vintage souvenir Toledo postcard folder from INKPAINTER on etsy.
This week is no exception, I am going to take you on an adventure to a far away magical land called, Toledo.
Where you can go to a show, Buy a beer for $1.50 at a bar, have drinks after the show with the band's saxophonist, get told you look twenty-four by a twenty four year old boy, and have pizza delivered to your hotel room till four in the morning (Not that all of that happened. It may be unprofessional to talk about such things).
 Blogger about all things etsy, with a "The more you know" spin by Thurs-"days", and by night...

Kitschy, wacky, cool embroidered vintage dish towel from Flea Market Treasures etsy shop. Are they Skanking? More on that later...

Last Thursday night was not my typical Project Runway Thursday.
(Really? What did you think I was going to say I usually did?)
When was the last time I had a big night out on the town, on a Thursday? Let's say college.

Vintage movie theater sign from Worldwide Jickie on etsy.

I was asked by my little sis, to accompany her to Toledo to go to see one of her all time favorite bands,

For the slacker in your life...awesome original photograph from From the Rooftops etsy shop.

Not a slacker like someone who hasn't installed base boards in their home for over two years...(just saying to no one in particular)  but,
The Slackers.
Join me as I discover that ska's the limit with this week's Unique picks from awesome etsy sellers as they help me to illustrate my Thursday night special adventure.

An American band with a musical vision to create "Jamaican Rock N Roll" -Vic Ruggiero Lead Vocals, Organ. 

I will never be charged with "discovering" a new band or being on the cusp of a new trend in music. Sister keeps me on track though. She has been a loyal fan of The Slackers since she was in high school.

The venue: Frankie's Inner-City in Toledo, Ohio.

My introduction to The Slackers live and a lesson in ska, all in one night.

"Ska'd for life", ska inspired necklace from Pokey Dot's Designs on etsy.

Ska was derived from a mixture of Jamaican music, combined with American jazz and R&B, and became popular in the early 1960s.- Ska Music 101.

 Music snob I am not and don't pretend to be one. Regular geek yes, but was allowed attend a show with the cool kids.

Awesome, honest buttons from Beanforest's etsy shop.
Helpful tips that I, a virgin Slacker show goer, picked up throughout the night.
Great original photo,"wallflowers" by matchstickgirl on etsy.

Don't expect to be a wallflowers while at a Slackers show. Everyone dances,
or should I say "skanks". I don't mean slutty either. It is the type of dancing that is associated with the ska sound. I'm not sure if I really had any of the right moves but I just kept going trying to keep up with the crowd and my sister.

Even the young ones can skank. Printed Toddler Tee from YoungPunks etsy shop.

Tips on skanking can be found in this article from MADispencer. Please stop rolling your eyes, I never claimed to be cool, I just try to stay informed and not look like a complete fool all of the time.

Sister was in rare form. I don't think I have ever seen her so excited or get down quite as much as she did that night.

Wear your dancing shoes.
It's the little things that I love, like these mini vintage wingtips from Scarlet Circus' etsy shop.

but this pick might be more suitable for actual wear...but keep in mind they may see a few spilled beverages.

Beautiful vintage velveteen flats from Captain Cat's etsy shop.

What clothes to wear? Hint: don't stress about it. Keep it loose.
Adorable top coincidentally called "Easy Skanking" from CRYSTAL by Olinda Mayor.

If you want to look like the band, this little guy about sums up the uniform...

He knows what's up...a fedora. Vintage porcelain figurine from lancetx on etsy.

Just a ssuggestion...
Bring cash.
 "Cash Money" print from Orange Beautiful's etsy shop.

When you are at high dollar venue like Frankie's and they have $1.50 PBR cans, things run much more smoothly if you don't need to use plastic at the bar. Heads up, $5 min to run credit cards.

As scene from the bar..while waiting for a few folks trying to convince the bartender to run their credit cards, even though their purchases were under $5. Blah. Tried to be patient but was missing out on the fun.
 So you don't have to shove your ID, cash and peppermints into your pockets (and don't have your big sister to hold your chap stick in their purse). Might I recommend something like this...little sis.

Keep your hands free for dancing and hair flipping with this little cell phone wallet wristlet from Kerri Ann Handmade's etsy shop.

Just suggesting...it is cute and practical. Where would you have put that chap stick if I wasn't there?

My last tip...please do it for yourself, and for the sake of others.
Wear deodorant. Please.

It's natural, it's handmade, sandalwood smells sexy, and it's found in Lucky Girl Boutique on etsy.

You are bound to get sweaty dancing around, but you don't need to smell like B.O.

Vintage magazine advertisement for deodorant from Totally Old Ads on etsy.

I mean what if you run into Bob Dylan...

Great felt finger puppet from Mullishmuse's etsy shop.

O.K. so maybe Bob Dylan wasn't there...but The Slackers did cover one of his tunes.
Regardless, it's best to avoid being the stinky one.

I hope these tips from a novice show goer have been helpful. If you are "old hat" at these shows and are well acquainted with The Slackers scene, please don't be offended by my lack of knowledge on this subject but bare in mind I picked up my own little piece of advice on one of the walls of the bar...

What wall? Why don't you take a little trip to Frankie's and tell me yourself...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for including my Bob Dylan finger puppet in your clever blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I will definitely become a follower. Thanks so much for including my plastic wingtips. They're in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for all of the great comments and checking out my blog! I got some great comments from Lucky Girl Boutique via my etsy shop and just wanted to share!
    Lucky Girl Boutique said:

    ~I LOVE how you said it all.Simply wonderful!Thank you for mentioning my ...All Natural Deodorant in the wonderful sexy and sultry scent of Indian Sandalwood and Vanilla.Super Yummy!
    Thank you so much.~~sheryl
    PS.The deodorant is SUPER AWESOME!You will have to try some of it out.

    Thanks Sheryl! You are so right, I should totally give your deodorant a go! It wouldn't stink to small good!!

    ReplyDelete